The director for the National Domestic Workers Alliance and one of TIME's Most Influential People, Ai Jen Poo has dedicated her life to advocating tirelessly for the rights, dignity and empowerment of women whose voices are too often silenced. In this first ChangeMAKERS installment, Cristen and Caroline talk with Poo about the role of caregivers in our society and the power women wield when they come together to make change happen.
Stats You Should Care About:
- 95 percent of domestic workers are women. (National Domestic Workers Alliance)
- Every day, 2.5 million women work in other people's homes. (MAKERS)
- Live-in domestic workers' median income is $6.15 per hour, and 65 percent of all domestic workers don't have health insurance. (National Domestic Workers Alliance)
- 91 percent of domestic workers who reported problematic working conditions didn't complain to their employer for fear of losing their jobs. (National Domestic Workers Alliance)
- In the United States alone, family caregivers are an unpaid workforce worth $470 billion per year. (The Washington Post)
Learn More About Ai Jen Poo and Her Work:
Learn More About MAKERS:
Learn More About ChangeMAKERS:
Stuff Mom Never Told You is celebrating Women's History Month by spotlighting passionate, trailblazing ladies making history right now. Each Friday in March, we're releasing an installment of ChangeMAKERS to share the conversations and takeaways Cristen and Caroline gleaned from their trip to the MAKERS conference in February. The world's largest video collection of women's stories, MAKERS is is a women's leadership platform that highlights the stories of groundbreaking women today to create the leaders of tomorrow.
More Stuff Mom Never Told You About Caregiving: